Why Exercise?November 10, 2016
Debi’s JeniFit Deflate Your Weight(DYW) Success StoryJanuary 5, 2017
Thanksgiving is a week away. Remember it is one day, one meal not your LAST meal. You have worked so hard to live a healthy lifestyle, remember BALANCE is key. Here are some tips to help you survive the day:
- Eat before the big meal. Do not go starving that often leads to overeating.
- Dress to impress: wear that form fitting dress or skinny jeans. Leave the baggy comfy clothes off!
- Plan: Before the meal have a favorite food in mind that you know you must have and plan for it.
- Eat slow and put the fork down in between bites. Savor every bite. Be MINDFUL.
- Do not obsess over the food. Focus on the entire celebration: the once a year sights, sounds and people at the event.
- Fill 2/3 of your plate with a rainbow of veggies. Choose white turkey meat without the skin (which is loaded with fat). Some healthy foods to have are cauliflower(makes a great faux mashed potatoes), brussel sprouts, cranberries(sauce from scratch not store bought) and butternut squash.
- Drink water before and during the meal. Thirst can mask itself as hunger!
- Be wise about what you chose for a cocktail and dessert. Both are loaded with sugar and calories so choose wisely. Maybe decide to only have one, cocktail or dessert and not both. Be mindful of serving size. A great low cal cocktail (only 45 calories): 1c sparkling water, 2oz vodka, 1Tbsp grapefruit juice and 6 raspberries. Garnish with fresh mint. CHEERS! Remember when drinking any alcohol have 1 drink, 1 water, 1 seltzer and then repeat if you are having more than one drink.
- Make single size versions of the more decadent dishes. For example, bake stuffing in muffin tin, prepare sweet potato casserole in ramekins, serve creamy soup in espresso cups, or serve gravy in shot glasses, you get the idea. This eliminates the temptation to pile these foods on your plate.
- Draw a clear finish line, a meal ender, to prevent you from picking and eating more. A breath mint or piece of gum. Reapply your lip gloss. If you must, pour some water on your plate (no one will notice).
- Lastly, join the clean-up crew. Help clean up after the big meal. The host will be very grateful and you can burn a few calories washing dishes.