Simple Smashed PotatoesJanuary 2, 2021
Tips on Drinking More WaterJanuary 12, 2021
You might think a warm dressing on cold lettuce might be a strange combo, but think again! This is the perfect winter salad.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small heads Bibb lettuce
- 1 Asian pear
- Optional: 1/2 cup toasted pecans, 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
For the dressing:
- Combine the vinegar and shallots in a small saucepan, place over medium-high heat until warmed or just simmering.
- Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, honey and olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm until ready to serve or warm again over low heat.
- This vinaigrette makes more than you need for 4 salad portions. Store the remainder tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For the salad:
- Wash and dry the lettuce, and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Cut the pear in half, remove the core using a melon-ball scoop, and discard.
- Slice the pear into thin slices then cut into matchstick julienne.
- Line 4 salad plates with torn Bibb lettuce.
- Toss the pears with some of the warm vinaigrette and arrange on each plate
- Lightly dress lettuce with desired amount of dressing.
- Optional: Garnish the salad with toasted nuts or seeds, or dried fruit.