Making Healthy Changes in the New YearJanuary 17, 2020
Rockstar Trainer: Caroline NycekJanuary 22, 2020
I don’t know about you, but all we want to eat when the weather gets colder is comfort food. Although we must admit, comfort food isn’t always the healthiest… so we’ve got the perfect solution! Stuffed peppers!
This stuffed pepper recipe will have you feeling super warm and cozy, while keeping your health in check and your tastebuds satisfied.
- Salute any combination of ground lean beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey, without exceeding one pound. Or keep it veggie by using beans or tofu as your protein! Try to minimize red meat consumption by doing a combination of two or more!
- Season the meat (or veggies) with cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano to taste. (Go light on the salt! Better yet, add it after you’re done cooking so it doesn’t disperse and you’ll know exactly how much you need)
- Microwave a bag of frozen unflavored cauliflower rice and mix into the cooked meat. You can also pulse some cauliflower in a food processor to make you own cauliflower rice!
- Caramelize an onion in a sauce pan. If you like mushrooms, sauté chopped mushrooms and add to the onions. You can also add several handfuls of spinach in for an extra touch of green to wilt!
- Add a half jar of your favorite low sugar, low fat, jarred sauce and mix it up! (Trader Joe’s Rustico and Tomato Basil are both great and delicious options)
- Grab peppers with a flat bottom that can stand on their own. Slice the top off of the peppers. The color pepper you pick is totally up to preference!
- Remove all the seeds from the peppers, and lightly spray the outside of them with extra virgin olive oil and put in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees on a piece of foil or a baking sheet.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and stuff to the top. Add a little extra sauce layer before you put the stuffed pepper back into the oven to heat for 20-30 minutes, depending on how soft or crisp you like the peppers!
- Cook the pepper tops on the side, and place them on top before serving!
Tag us on Instagram or Facebook if you recreate this recipe! We’d love to see it.